If you have been to Singapore, you have definitely heard about “Singlish“. Actually, you might even have heard people “speak” Singlish in hawker centers.
What is Singlish? A Singaporean version of English. It’s not a proper language, but rather a slang used by very local people. Okay time to have a good laugh!! A few examples… just out of my head 🙂
– walau! so stupid one i tell you! : I cannot believe he is so stupid…
– oi ! wake up lah! : hey, please wake up!
– alamak, so much work today, cannot tahan one loh! : I have too much work today, I really don’t know how to go about it
– ayah! i told you already what! : can’t you remember what I tell you?
– fly ly also can lor! : fried rice is also fine by me
Get the idea? Feel free to contribute with the funniest Singlish phrases you’ve heard so far 🙂 And if you have trouble imagining the Singaporean accent, take a look at this video… Get it now? It’s quite something isn’t it!!
Of course, it goes without saying that I am not encouraging you to speak Singlish, just knowing what it is is enough 🙂
Also, did you know that Singtel has developed an application so that the Siri system on iPhone 4S can recognise the Singapore accent? More information here.
And for those of you who are very familiar with Singlish, try out these Siri jokes, some of them are really funny!!